This Blog Has Moved



APRIL 2010: THIS BLOG HAS MOVED
GO TO THE NEW ADDRESS TO COMMENT. THANK YOU.

New Address:

http://nafkamina.wordpress.com

All posts are available in the new blog

Please do not post any comments here. Go to the new address to comment. Thank you.



Saturday, December 22, 2007

Seven Medical Myths

The British Medical Journal just published a list of seven medical myths, common medical beliefs that turn out to be wrong.

Here they are:

1. People should drink at least eight glasses of water a day

I always knew there something wrong with this one. Even during my military training days I had difficulty drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

2. We use only 10% of our brains

Actually, I didn't know this one. However, had I heard about it I would have taken it to be true, simply based on watching most people around me. So I believe further research is warranted before dismissing this. I'll grant them 20%, but no more.

3. Hair and fingernails continue to grow after death

I have nothing to say about this one. I'm surprised it's a myth.

4. Shaving hair causes it to grow back faster, darker, or coarser

I used to believe this one, until I starting losing my hair.

5. Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight

Yes, I believed this one. I actually berate my children for reading after lights out. Although, come to think of it, I should have known better. I behaved exactly like them when I was a child, and my eyesight is still perfect.

6. Eating turkey makes people especially drowsy

I don't eat much turkey, so I wouldn't know. Didn't know this one.

7. Mobile phones create considerable electromagnetic interference in hospitals

This I knew not to be true, as mobile phones operate on different frequencies. Another myth (not medical) is that mobile phones interfere with the aircraft navigation systems. Yeah, right.

No comments: