This Blog Has Moved



APRIL 2010: THIS BLOG HAS MOVED
GO TO THE NEW ADDRESS TO COMMENT. THANK YOU.

New Address:

http://nafkamina.wordpress.com

All posts are available in the new blog

Please do not post any comments here. Go to the new address to comment. Thank you.



Monday, December 13, 2004

Ore Ore - It's Me

How many times did you find yourself in a situation like this one: The phone rings. You pick it up, and somebody on the other end of the line says: "Hi, it's me". You reply: "Oh hi, how are you darling?". There is a short pause, and the other person says: "I'm not your darling, I'm your next-door neighbour".

Cases of mistaken identity over the phone are a common occurence and usually end up with no lasting damage, just a small embarassment. But in Japan, police have been warning the public for months now about a scam which has been called the "it's me" scam.

Middle-age or elderly women are usually the victims. Callers start the conversation by saying "Ore, ore" ("it's me, it's me" in Japanese), usually in a sobbing voice. They pretend to be a relative in distress, asking for money urgently in order to get out of trouble: a traffic accident, an abortion for the girlfriend or to pay off a loan. The elderly victim, wanting to help the relative in trouble, rushes to the nearest ATM and transfers the money to the account number the caller provides. End of scam.

Sounds far-fetched? Not so. According to police estimates, by the end of this year about 15-20 billion yen (around 150 million US dollars!) will have been fraudulenty transferred to "ore ore" callers. These numbers have prompted a nation-wide campaign by police, banks and cellular phone companies to try and put an end to this despicable scam.

So next time you hear "ore ore" on the phone, take your time to make sure the person on the other end is indeed someone you know, before parting with your money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about russian scams and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about russian scams so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!